Societe Generale Receives ‘Outstanding’ Sustainability Rating for UK Office
The UK based office of French Banking Group, Societe Generale, One Bank Street, has received the highest achievable rating from BREEAM*, making it one of only three most sustainable buildings in London.
Demonstrating its strong commitment to building on its environmental footprint, Societe Generale has attained an ‘outstanding’ status for the design and fitout of One Bank Street in Canary Wharf from BREEAM, the world’s leading design and assessment method for sustainable buildings.
This adds to the ‘outstanding’ rating Societe Generale has already received for its build. This means that between 30-35 per cent less energy will be used in the overall management of the office.
To obtain the classification, Societe Generale had to ensure the overall design of One Bank Street office exceeded BREEAM’s scoring boundaries of 85%. With a design philosophy focusing on natural materials, Biophilic design, energy consumption and efficiency and recycling, One Bank Street received a score of 86.12%, the first ever investment bank to achieve this figure.
The building also provides many wellbeing enhancements for staff, prioritising a significant increase in natural light, more collaborative working spaces, facilities for cyclists and joggers, as well as enabling a set up that has always been conducive to flexible working.
Warren Beney, Head of Corporate Real Estate, Societe Generale, said: "We are very proud to have achieved this rating from BREEAM. As an organisation, we have been dedicated to our sustainability and CSR goals and this accreditation, the highest possible, is testament to our efforts.
“The success of One Bank Street’s design demonstrates that we can meet challenging carbon reduction and climate change targets, transition to a circular economy, improve occupier health and support biodiversity, as well as deliver economically successful developments at scale.”
One Bank Street is a state of-the-art building which houses the Societe Generale’s UK corporate & investment banking, securities services, asset management and back and middle office private banking activities. London based teams moved into the new building from November 2019, consolidating the majority of businesses in one location.
* Building Research Establishment Environmental Assessment Methodology
Notes to editors:
To achieve this rating, the project team involved in the design and fit out of One Bank Street deployed a number of innovative measures including:
- Over 30% improvement on building regulations for energy performance and carbon emissions 40% reduction in heating and cooling demand for the tenant
- Energy strategy focused on passive design and fabric first approach saving 600 TCO2 a year
- Roof top solar panels delivering almost 20,000 kWh/year enough to power five homes a year
- 857 cycle spaces provided with over 500 lockers and 60 showers
- A 706 sq.m biodiverse roof and 245 sq.m of terrace and planters
- Efficient planting irrigation system linked to weather data and moisture sensors
- All timber permanent and temporary is 100% FSC Certified
- Almost 60% water savings achieved using low flow fittings and a grey water system